“Spring Cleaning” generally means cleaning things that get missed throughout the year. Although we do our laundry often, how often is it that you match up those socks or go through and purge those clothing or textile items that simply do not get used anymore? Todays challenge is about organizing and purging.
It’s okay, this is a week long challenge.
- Wash every load that is waiting. Go ahead and start the washing machine.
- Get into a habit of folding things as soon as they come out of the dryer.
- Match every single sock that you have washed. Unmatched socks go into a designated area.
- Over the next week, if those unmatched socks go without matching, it’s time for them to be tossed, recycled, or used as a cleaning rag. Seriously. Give up on them. They’re goners. Their sole mate is missing and he or she isn’t coming back. It’s okay to let go… Or take a look at all of the sock craft ideas on Pinterest!
- Look at your clean laundry basket. How many items in there don’t have a home? Do you use them? If you do, find somewhere to store the items. If you don’t, time to toss ’em.
- Go into your youngest household member’s dresser (with or without them, depending on age), remove all clothing items that are too small. Donate or sell using whatever means you wish.
- Do the same for the other household members, including them in the process if they are at an age where they would like to be involved or should have a say in their clothing. Do not throw out their favourite pair of pants because there is a hole in the knee, you monster. They’re kids, not dress-up dolls 😉
- If you’re still ambitious, sort clothing into warm and cold clothes and store away whichever attire is out of season right now. Saves room, saves time spent getting ready in the morning, and saves the inevitable “I didn’t wear this, but it fell from my dresser and I don’t feel like putting it away so it’s going in the wash” scenario that kids seem addicted to.
It looks like a lot written out, but in reality, this challenge is quite small. The more you take these steps, the less overall housework you will have and the quicker the steps become. Downsize, downsize, downsize.
Good luck! May the odds be ever in your favour <3