Here in the Valley, the weather changed so fast that there wasn’t even the slightest chance for us to acclimatize to it. One day, it was a blistering 30+ degrees (Celsius), the next we were barely breaking 10. From not a cloud in the sky to rain everywhere.
And I love it.
I love it because I focus on the positives of this change in weather. Close your eyes for a moment and think of all your favourite memories surrounding this particular season. We’ve entered autumn, though technically the Autumn Equinox for 2013 isn’t until September 22nd. The weather is cooler, the leaves are changing colour, and the rain is abundant here on the Island.
Think positive and I’ll share my favourite things about this season:
- Soups and Stews. The smell of a house as it marinates in slowly simmering soup or stew. Not to mention how cheap it is!
- Cozy sweaters, scarves, socks… Time to snuggle up into warm clothes. Lounging around the house is sweat pants. Can I get a “heck yeah!”?
- Snuggling up to your loved one for extra body heat. Last night, I damn near burned my back on the heat emitting from my guy.
- Fires. If you are lucky enough to have a fireplace, ’tis the season to fire it up on those cool evenings. I love sitting by the fire and listening to it crackle. Feeling the heat coming off of it. The smells it creates. It envelopes all your senses… And you should let it. It’s the small things we need to remember how to enjoy.
- Pumpkins. Pumpkin pies, little kidlets dressed as pumpkins for Halloween, pumpkin seeds, carving pumpkins… Which brings me to…
- Halloween. Oh heck yes!
- Halloween Candy. On November the 1st. $$$
- The smell of pavement after a good rainfall. Reminds me of my childhood 🙂